If you recall, in my previous post, I shared with you an important question you should be asking yourself when it comes to photography. I decided to walk myself through the exercise for 5 of my recent favorite photos.
I have to say I got stumped a bit answering some of the questions, mostly the feelings and emotions bit.
The questions made me process my thoughts about my work and figure out what I like/didn’t like about my photos and what I want to work on.
Some takeaways looking at my photos …
I’m drawn to:
- Scenes rich in color or where certain colors really pop.
- Moments that make me laugh or seem ironic or weird.
- I love lines! Whether they’re natural, intentional or unintentional,
- The balancing of geometric shapes like circles, rectangles, squares, etc.
Things I would have changed:
- Stepping back a few feet to get more of a scene into my frame.
- Stepped to the left or right to eliminate objects out of the background.
- Cropped certain areas out.
- Made the horizontal image vertical or vice versa.
Some photos I love purely because they remind me of a certain moment in time, but it’s a good reminder for me to think about these questions before I take a photo. They’ll help me be more thoughtful before I take a photo, especially if I shoot film photography rather than digital.